Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Pumpkin on my mind...


… so I put some on my cutting board, cut and roasted halves of the pumpkin. I sauteed a little sweet onion and celery, and I wanted to add some apple or pear to it but I couldn’t decide which to use until I noticed something called applepear and the choice was made for me. A little pumpkin pie spice and I was off to the races. Some apple cider couldn’t hurt so I began to pour while adding a bit of brown sugar. Time to simmer… Meanwhile I removed the pumpkin from the oven and scooped out the flesh and passed it through a food mill. The puree was then added to the pot and stirred in with some spiced rum and chicken stock. Again time to simmer…And its time for a snack so I toasted the seeds and tossed them with a little cayenne and salt. Spicy and nutty! Later, as I was snacking I got my hands on some maple extract powder and cassia and blended it with creme fraiche. By this time the soup was ready to blend, so I took a final stove top taste test and it was good, not great, nothing a little maple syrup and heavy cream couldn’t fix. Damn I’m good, that was just what it needed! Super tasty. I proudly put the soup into a blender and began to blend…OUCH!!!…never use a blender with hot soup while your head is full with flavor pride. The molten liquids of the blender made a quick break for the nearest exit and latched onto my coat, hand and neck. So I decided to allow the soup to cool and blend later on. Finally the soup was finished and all it needed now was a little garnish, the spicy pumpkin seeds were begging to be a part of this party and the maple spiced creme fraiche was born for the soup. Together they were delightful, otherwise I wouldn’t write about my mishaps with a blender.

No comments:

Post a Comment